How to get from Hat Yai Railway Station to Koh Lipe
There are three direct services each day from Hat Yai Train Station to Koh Lipe:
- A Jolly Travel representative with a sign will be waiting in the train station building by the ticket counters for 08:00 departure from Hat Yai Train Station to Koh Lipe.
- The 09.00 and 12.30 departures to Koh Lipe with Sukhothai Tour Hat Yai leave from the small car parking area in front of the main entrance to Hat Yai Train Station.
Travel Times From Hat Yai Train Station to Koh Lipe
||Sukhothai Tour Hat Yai
||Sukhothai Tour Hat Yai
* This cost does not include the 200 THB entrance fee to Tarutao National Park or 50 THB local boat fee to reach the Island’s pier.
Buy Tickets for the Direct Service From Hat Yai Train Station to Koh Lipe
The first part of the journey is a 1 hr 55 km journey by bus from Hat Yai Railway Station to Pakbara Pier. From Pakabara Pier the next stage of the journey is a sea crossing by speedboat to Koh Lipe. The journey by speedboat takes between 1 hour 30 minutes and 2 hours depending on which service you take. The start and arrival times allow for delays and embarkation and disembarkation of the speedboat.
Times of Connecting Train Services from Bangkok to Koh Lipe via Hat Yai
* Arrival Time is too late to travel to Koh Lipe on the same day
Book Trains from Bangkok to Hat Yai to connect with the Direct Service to Koh Lipe
Train Tickets from Bangkok to Hat Yai
There are five direct trains a day from Bangkok to Hat Yai. All trains except Train #41 arrive in Hat Yai in time to meet with a direct connecting service from Hat Yai Train Station to Koh Lipe. Special Express Train #31 departing from Bangkok at 14.45 is probably the best train to catch if you are planning to go direct to Koh Lipe for two reasons:
- Arrival time: Train #31 is scheduled to arrive at 06.35 which means you are in good time to catch the 08.00 or 09.00 departures from Hat Yai Train Station to Koh Lipe. Trains services on Thailand’s Southern Line are often delayed because long sections of this railway line are single track and trains often need to wait long periods for trains travelling in the other direction to pass.
- Train Facilities: Train #31 uses the brand new train carriages introduced by the State Railways of Thailand in November 2016. The only seat types on this train are 1st and 2nd Class A/C Sleeper berths and they are the best quality sleeper berths available on any Thai train for the same price as the sleepers berths available on other older trains.
Route map from Hat Yai Train Station to Pakbara Pier for ferries to Koh Lipe
- Distance to Pakbara ferry pier: 125 kilometres
- Time taken to complete Sea Crossing to Koh Lipe: 1 hours 30 min to 2 hours 00 min
Park Fees ar Koh Lipe
The speedboat from Pakbara Pier terminates at a floating jetty about 100 metres offshore from Koh Lipe Island. Koh Lipe is in the Tarutao National Park and two fees need to be paid before you arrive on Koh Lipe itself:
- National Park Entrance Fee: 200 THB
- Local Boat Fee: 50 THB
Sunrise in Koh Lipe
The National Park Fee allows entrance for the park for 7 days. Make sure you keep the entrance ticket or you risk being charged 200 THB again if you visit other islands and on return to Koh Lipe.
Koh Lipe is a small island and most journeys can be completed easily by walking. However, if you do need transport take either:
- A ‘long-tail’ taxi boat for which the charge will be around 50 THB person to any point on the island.
- A motorcycle taxi which will charge between 20 THB and 200 THB per person depending upon where you want to go, how difficult the drive is and good your negotiating skills are.
Location of Koh Lipe Pier in Koh Lipe