The train journey from Bangkok to Surat Thani is a very popular journey on the South East Asian travel circuit, with large numbers of foreign visitors travelling onward from Surat Thani train station to Koh Samui and Koh Phangan for the famous monthly Full Moon Party. Inexpensive sleeper berths are available on most trains and one of the advantages of travel by train is saving on the cost of a hotel for the night.
Train Times to Surat Thani
There are 10 direct trains per day from Bangkok to Surat Thani. Trains #37 and #45, and trains #39 and #41, operate as a single service as far as Surat Thani.
|Train No.||Bangkok||Surat Thani||Service|
- The fastest train from Bangkok to Surat Thani is Train #43 departing at 07:50 which is scheduled to complete the journey in 11 hours 00 minutes.
- There are direct travel connections from Surat Thani Train Station to Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao.
- From Surat Thani there are bus services to Krabi, Koh Lanta, Khao Sok National Park and Koh Phi Phi.
Buy Tickets to Surat Thani
Use the Search Box below to buy your train tickets from Bangkok to Surat Thani:
Sleeper seats are available to book online as well as the cheaper seat only options. See below for information about booking tickets to travel from Surat Thani Train Station to popular destinations such as Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao, Krabi and Phuket. Tickets for onward travel from Surat Thani Train Station by bus and ferry can also be purchased using the Search Box above.
- Ticket collection: Tickets can be collected on the day of travel from on office across the road from Bangkok train station. See more information about collecting train ticket in Bangkok when you book a train ticket through Thailand Trains.
Ticket Prices to Surat Thani
|Seat Type||Online Price||Station Price|
|1st Class A/C Sleeper||1,589 to 1,829 THB||1,339 to 1,579 THB|
|2nd Class A/C Sleeper||998 to 1,258 THB||728 to 1,008 THB|
|2nd Class A/C Seat||858 THB||608 THB|
|2nd Class Fan Sleeper||758 THB||508 THB|
Whilst it is 250 THB cheaper to buy a train ticket from Bangkok to Surat Thani at a train station in Thailand than it is buy a ticket online, passengers should also be aware that during busy periods 1st and 2nd Class A/C Sleeper tickets tend to sell out days (or sometimes weeks) before the date of travel.
- Koh Phangan: Surat Thani is the connection point between the railway to the ferry services to Koh Phangan, which is the location of the famous monthly Full Moon Party.
- Full Moon Party: The Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan is the largest beach party in Asia attracting up to 30,000 foreign visitors on a monthly basis.
- The Best Tickets Sell Out Early: For several days before and after the monthly Full Moon Party train services to Surat Thani are nearly always 100% full and the only available seats for purchase on the day of travel, or the day before, are normally 3rd Class Fan Seat which are not a comfortable choice for an overnight journey of up to 14 hours.
- Money Well Spent: The additional cost of booking online is money well spent to guarantee your preferred ticket on this busy train route.
Train travel to Surat Thani
Travel by train is not the quickest way to travel from Bangkok to Surat Thnai, nor the cheapest (the bus is cheaper), but it is a pleasant experience and by booking a sleeper ticket you save money on hotels and arrive early in the morning to start enjoying your beach holiday.
From Surat Thani Train Station there are direct connections to the islands of Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. See below for more information about onward travel from Surat Thani Train Station to Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao.
Route Bangkok to Surat Thani
- Distance from Bangkok to Surat Thani: 638 km
- Train travel time from Bangkok to Surat Thani: 11 to 15 hours
- Travel by road time from Bangkok to Surat Thani: Approximately 8 hours
Best Train to Surat Thani
All of the train listed above which travel overnight have sleeper seats available, which need to be booked in advance as they often sell out before the day of travel. Our recommended train is Train #85 departing at 19:30. The reason we recommend this train is that it has air conditioned 2nd class sleeper carriages and it arrives at a convenient time for direct connections to the islands of Koh Samui, Koh Tao and Koh Phangan for the Full Moon Party.
The daytime journey departing at 07:50 is the only journey which is completed during the daylight. However, if you take the day time service you need to spend 1 night in Surat Thani before travelling onward to any of the islands as you will be too late to catch any ferries except the night boat to Koh Phangan. The night boat to Koh Phangan departs from the centre Surat Thani city at 23:00 and arrives in Koh Phangan at 06:00 the following day.
Hua Lamphong Train Station
Trains from Bangkok to Surat Thani depart from Hua Lamphong Train Station (also known simply as Bangkok Railway Station), which is located is near the river in Bangkok at the edge of Bangkok’s China Town distict. This station can be reach by MRT (metro), taxi or tuk-tuk, bus, and by boat (the nearest Chao Phraya Express Boat Pier to Hualamphong Railway Station the is Marine Habour Department) with a 15 minute walk onward to the station.
Location of Bangkok Station
Travel to the Islands
Surat Thani Railway Station is not in Surat Thani town, its about 15 km away in the neighbouring town of Phunphin. Surat Thani is a new city and at the time the station was constructed Phunphin was the more important town. There are very good onward transport links from this station. Alternatively you can travel from the station into Surat Thani town either by taxi (around 120 to 150 THB) or by public bus (18 THB) and take a bus or minivan from there. Buses and taxis leave from the car park near the front of railway station.
See our Guides To Travel From:
- Surat Thani Railway Station to Koh Samui
- Surat Thani Railway Station to Koh Phangan
- Surat Thani Railway Station to Koh Tao
- Surat Thani Railway Station to Phuket
- Surat Thani Railway Station to Krabi
- Surat Thani Railway Station to Khao Sok National Park
- Surat Thani Railway Station to Phang Nga
- Surat Thani Railway Station to Koh Phi Phi
- Surat Thani Railway Station to Koh Lanta
Location of Surat Thani Station
Hotels near Surat Thani Station
There are only a small number of hotels near Surat Thani Railway Station, the two we recommend are both budget hotels: