To travel from Hua Hin to Penang by train you need to change trains at Padang Besar, which is the railway station on the Thailand/Malaysia border. After alighting from the train from Hua Hin at Padang Besar walk across the border getting your passport stamped out of Thailand and into Malaysia, and then enter the Malaysian Padang Besar Railway Station for the final part of the journey by train to Penang.
Train Times from Hua Hin to Penang
- Train 1: Train times from Hua Hin to Padang Besar.
|Train||Hua Hin||Padang Besar||Service|
- Train 2: Train times from Padang Besar to Penang.
- Train times from Padang Besar to Penang are in Malaysian time which is 1 hour ahead of Thai time.
Buy Tickets from Hua Hin to Penang
Use the Search Box below to buy tickets from Hua Hin to Padang Besar for the first part of the train journey to Penang.
Tickets for the commuter train from Padang Besar to Penang can be purchased on arrival at the railway station. There are 14 trains a day so you do not need to book this service in advance, and you are probably better off not doing so because the train from Hua Hin to Padang Besar might be delayed.
About Train Travel to Penang
The journey from Hua Hin to Padang Besar on Train #45 is scheduled to take over 13 hours so we recommend that you book a Sleeper Berth.
Taking account of the time difference, and the likelihood of some delays to your journey by train from Hua Hin to Padang Besar, you will probably arrive at railway station in the Malaysian part of Padang Besar at some time between 11:00 and 12:00.
- Travel Tip: If you are bringing cash to Malaysia we recommend that you only change a small amount. Better exchange rates are available in Penang than the ones you will offerred during the journey.
Travel to Hua Hin Train Station
Hua Hin’s very attractive small train station is pleasantly situated next to the Royal Hua Hin Golf Course. It is about a 1 km walk away from the beach and the Hilton Hua Hin Resort and Spa at the top of Soi Hua Hin 76. Hua Hin is spread out some distance along the main highway running through the town and the running parallel to the long sandy beach. Some of the hotel and resorts are some way from the railway station and you may need to make use of a taxi or tuk-tuk to get to the train station.
Location of Hua Hin Train Station
Travel from Butterworth to Penang
If you planning to visit Penang Island, then from Butterworth railway station there are two ways to travel there:
- Option 1: Take the cheap car ferry over the strait separating Penang from mainland Malaysia. The boat pier is very close to the train station and it is an easy walk. Follow the signs from the train station. From the ferry pier in George Town and it is a 5 minute walk to Little India and a 10 minute walk to Chula Street.
- Option 2: Take a taxi. There is a bridge to the north of Butterworth railway station between the mainland and Penang Island. The taxi option may be the better one is you are staying somewhere outside the centre of George Town.
Travel to Kuala Lumpur
For onward travel to Kuala Lumpur you have the option of travelling either by bus or by train. The main bus station is adjacent to Butterworth train station. Travelling by road takes around an hour longer than travel by train but it costs about 60% of the cost of a train ticket. There are also minivan services which you can book online with depart from George Town on Penang Island which, if you are staying in Penang, will save you the trip back on the ferry to Butterworth to for your onward journey to Kuala Lumpur.