The train is a great way to travel from Hua Hin to Surat Thani and onto the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Samui. Passengers have the option of travelling either on the fast day time train or booking a sleeper berth on one of the overnight trains in time for direct bus and boat connections from Surat Thani train station to Koh Samui and Koh Phangan.
Train Times from Hua Hin to Surat Thani
There 10 direct train services a day from Hua Hin to Surat Thani.
- Please note: The services shaded in grey are not currently operating.
|Train||Hua Hin||Surat Thani||Service|
- The fastest train service from Hua Hin to Surat Thani is Train #43 departing from Hua Hin at 12:09 and scheduled to arrive in Surat Thani 6 hours 41 minutes later.
- The slowest service is Train #169 departing at 20:38 scheduled to complete the journey between Hua Hin and Surat Thani in 7 hours 56 minutes.
Buy Tickets from Hua Hin to Surat Thani
Use the Search Box below to buy your train tickets from Hua Hin to Surat Thani.
This is a relatively short journey which can be travelled during daylight hours with no early starts or late night arrivals if you book a ticket in advance on Train #43 departing from Hua Hin at 12:09 and arriving in Surat Thani at 18:50. You can buy tickets at Hua Hin Train Station, however, to secure your seats consider booking online. Sleeper seats are available to book online as well as the cheaper seat only options. Tickets purchase online can either be collected at the Parcels Office at Hua Hin Train Station or sent by post to your home address.
Ticket Prices from Hua Hin to Surat Thani
|Seat Type||Online Price||Station Price|
|2nd Class A/C Sleeper||960 THB||670 THB|
|2nd Class A/C Seat||740 THB||490 THB|
Booking online costs 250 to 290 THB more than buying a ticket at the station. However, during busy periods you may find that 1st and 2nd Class seats are not available to purchase on the day of travel.
About Travel to Surat Thani
Surat Thani is near to the ferry ports for Koh Samui and Koh Phangan. For travel from Hua Hin to Surat Thani a popular option is to take the train, and catch a direct service from Surat Thani town to Koh Samui or Koh Phangan the following day.
This is a popular choice because travelling by train means you avoid having to do early morning starts and long uncomfortable bus journeys. From Surat Thani it is also a relatively short bus journey onward to Phuket and Krabi on the Andaman Coast.
Transporting Bicycles by Train
If there is room in the freight car, you can carry your bicycle with you on all trains from Hua Hin to Surat Thani except for Train #43 (departing at 12:09 from Hua Hin), Train #31 (departing from Hua Hin at 19:15) and Trains 39 & 41 (both departing from Hua Hin at 02:18).
- For more information see our Guide to Carrying bicycles on Thailand Trains.
Hua Hin Railway Station
Hua Hin’s very attractive small train station is pleasantly situated next to the Royal Hua Hin Golf Course. It is about a 1 km walk away from the beach and the Hilton Hua Hin Resort and Spa at the top of Soi Hua Hin 76. Hua Hin is spread out some distance along the main highway running through the town and the running parallel to the long sandy beach. Some of the hotels and resorts are some way from the railway station and you may need to make use of a taxi or tuk-tuk to get to the train station.
Location of Hua Hin Railway Station
About Travel from Surat Thani
Surat Thani train station is not in Surat Thani city centre, but 16 km away in the neighbouring district of Phunphin. Surat Thani is a new city and at the time the railway line was built Phunphin was the more important settlement. You can travel from the station into Surat Thani city centre either by taxi (around 140 THB) or by public bus (18 THB). The buses and taxis leave from in front of the railway station.
For onward travel see our Guides to travel from:
- Surat Thani Train Station to Koh Samui
- Surat Thani Train Station to Koh Phangan
- Surat Thani Train Station to Koh Tao
- Surat Thani Train Station to Phang Nga
- Surat Thani Train Station to Phuket
- Surat Thani Train Station to Krabi
- Surat Thani Train Station to Khao Sok National Park
- Surat Thani Train Station to Koh Lanta
- Surat Thani Train Station to Koh Phi Phi
Surat Thani City
Surat Thani city is not a popular destination for foreign visitors except as a transport hub particular for the three main island of the Samui Archipelago. Surat Thani is modern city with few major attractions, it is though one of the best place to eat authentic Southern Thai cuisine, of which you will find plenty at Surat Thani Night Market.
Hotels in Surat Thani
There are some really good hotels in Surat Thani and some basic hotels which are cheap. We recommend:
- Luxury Hotel: The best hotel in Surat Thani is the Diamond Plaza Hotel which costs from 900 THB per night.
- Budget Hotel: Thairungruang Backpackers Suratthani is a popular budget hotel very close to the downtown bus stations and the departure point for services to Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For an air-conditioned room with satellite TV expect to pay 450 THB per night.