There are 4 direct trains a day from Khon Kaen to Bangkok.
Trains to Bangkok
- The fastest train is the daytime Train #76 departing at 09:12 and scheduled to complete the journey to Bangkok in 7 hours 58 minutes.
- The slowest train of the four services from Khon Kaen to Bangkok is Train #78 departing at 20:19 and scheduled arrive in Bangkok some 8 hours 41 minutes later.
Buy Tickets to Bangkok
Use the Search Box below to buy your train tickets from Khon Kaen to Bangkok.
- Sleeper seats are available to book online as well as the cheaper seat only options.
- After booking either collect your train tickets at the Parcels Office at Khon Kaen Train Station or request that they are sent by post to your home address.
The daytime departure at 09.12 is a convenient option with passengers arriving in central Bangkok during daylight hours. This train has all air conditioned carriages and meals and drinks are included in the ticket price. The overnight trains take up to an hour longer, which makes little difference to passengers with sleeper berths as all three overnight trains are scheduled to arrive in Bangkok very early in the morning.
Ticket Prices to Bangkok
|Seat Type||Online Price||Station Price|
|1st Class A/C Sleeper||1,648 THB||1,398 THB|
|2nd Class A/C Sleeper||1,169 THB||909 THB|
|2nd Class A/C Seat||649 THB||399 THB|
The benefit of booking in advance online is that you can guarantee that your preferred ticket type is available on the train you plan to take. 1st and 2nd Class tickets sell out in advance of the day of travel on busy days.
About Travel to Bangkok
There are two fast services from Khon Kaen to Bangkok each day which have tickets available to book through Thailand Trains. It takes around 90 minutes longer to do the journey by train than it does by bus. However, Train #26 has sleeper berths and a restaurant car which make the train a lot more comfortable than a bus, particularly for overnight journeys. The other option is to fly from Khon Kaen to Bangkok which is between 300 THB an 900 THB more expensive than using the train and then you need to take account of the cost of getting to and from the airport.
Travel to Khon Kaen Station
Khon Kaen train station is conveniently located in Khon Kaen city centre on the Darun Samran Road.
It is about 600 metres to the south of Central Plaza shopping mall and 1 km east of the Midnight Market and the Food Market. Many major hotels are within walking distance of Khon Kaen railway station. Khon Kaen bus station is 1.9 km walking distance (24 minutes) North of Khon Kaen train station. Most people will find that this is too far to walk from the train station to the bus station and take a taxi.
Location of Khon Kaen Station
Travel from Bangkok Station
From Bangkok’s main train station, Hua Lamphong, there are two easy public transport options as well as lots of taxis and tuks.
- Metro: Adjacent to the train station is an MRT (Metro) station. Bangkok’s Metro has a single line running from Bangkok railway station to Bang Sue railway station in the north of Bangkok, via Silom, the Sukhumvit Road and other popular areas in ‘New’ Bangkok. The Bangkok Metro also connects with the BTS (Skytrain) and the Airport Link which connects Suvarnabhumi International Airport with Bangkok City.
- Express Boat: The other option is to walk 1,300 metres to the Chao Phraya river and catch the Chao Phraya Express Boat service which stops at lots of locations along the river, including the Phra Arthit Road which is close to the Khao San Road. The nearest Chao Phraya Express Boat pier to Hua Lamphong train station is the Harbour Department Pier.
- Taxis from Bangkok Train Station: To make sure you only pay the price on the meter catch your taxi from the official tank rank at the side entrance to the train station. The taxi rank is on the same side of the station building as the entrance to the MRT (Metro) station. Taxis hailed on the street near to Bangkok Train Station will not always agree to use their meter and often demand that foreign passengers pay an inflated fixed price two to three times what the price would have been had they used their meter.