By train the journey from Surat Thani to Bangkok is scheduled to take from 11 to 14 hours depending upon which train you take.
Train Times to Bangkok
There are 10 daily direct train services from Surat Thani to Bangkok (Trains #42 and #44, and trains #38 and #46, join into a single service before they reach Surat Thani). There is a single departure in the morning with the other 9 daily trains travelling overnight.
- The fastest service is Train #40, departing at 10:25, scheduled to complete the journey to Bangkok in 10 hours 45 minutes.
- The slowest service is Train #168, departing at 17:08, which is scheduled to reach Bangkok 14 hours 27 minutes after departing from Surat Thani.
Buy Tickets to Bangkok
Use the Search Box below to buy your train tickets from Surat Thani to Bangkok.
Sleeper seats are available to book online as well as the cheaper seat only options. After booking either collect your train tickets at the Parcel Office at Surat Thani Train Station or request that they are sent by post to your home address.
Ticket Prices to Bangkok
Tickets often sell out days or even weeks before the day of travel on the Surat Thani to Bangkok, particularly around the time of Koh Phangan’s monthly Full Moon Party.
|Seat Type||Online Price||Station Price|
|1st Class A/C Sleeper||1,589 THB||1,339 THB|
|2nd Class A/C Sleeper||998 to 1,058 THB||728 to 768 THB|
|2nd Class A/C Seat||858 THB||608 THB|
|2nd Class Fan Sleeper||758 THB||508 THB|
Book your ticket in advance online to guarantee your seats. Tickets may be cheaper if you wait and buy them at the train station but you will not save money if the trains are fully booked and you need to rearrange your travel plans, book extra nights in a hotel, or miss your flight home.
Route to Bangkok
- Distance from Surat Thani to Bangkok: 635 km
- Train travel time from Surat Thani to Bangkok: 11 to 15 hours
- Travel by road time from Surat Thani to Bangkok: 7 hours 52 minutes
About Train Travel from Surat Thani to Bangkok
The train is a great way to travel from Surat Thani to Bangkok. The most popular services are the overnight journeys. Sleeper seats in 2nd class are good value for money and save on the cost of a hotel. Travelling to Bangkok by train overnight also saves a wasted day of travelling as the journey can be done effortlessly whilst you sleep in a comfortable bed. There is not much to see along the way until you reach the outskirts of Bangkok so you are not missing out by taking an overnight journey.
The Best Train to Bangkok
- Travel Tip: The most punctual service is actually Train #168, which departs at 17:08. Train #168 is often the quickest because it starts at Surat Thani, whilst all the other services start from stations further south and are already delayed by the time they get to Surat Thani. The 17:08 departure almost always departs on time.
Surat Thani Railway Station
Surat Thani train station is located in Phunphin which is a 23 minute drive from the City Pillar Shrine in the centre of Surat Thani city centre. If you are staying in Koh Samui, Koh Tao or Koh Phangan you can take the bus and boat service directly to Surat Thani train station. Alternatively you can catch a bus or take a taxi from Surat Thani town centre to get to the train station.
Travel to Surat Thani
- From Koh Samui to Surat Thani train station
- From Koh Phangan to Surat Thani train station
- From Phuket to Surat Thani Train Station
Location of Surat Thani Station
Transport in Bangkok
The train terminates at Bangkok’s main train station, Hua Lamphong, in Bangkok’s Chinatown not far from the Chao Phraya River. Aside from taxis and tuk-tuks, there are other easy public transport options from this railway station.
Adjacent to the train station is an MRT (Metro) station which go on one route through the City, via Silom, Sukhumvit Road and up to Bang Sue railway station in the north of Bangkok. People who frequently do the train journey from Surat Thani to Bangkok normally choose to leave the train at Bang Sue railway station for quicker travel into central Bangkok.