To travel by train from Surat Thani to Penang you need to change trains at Padang Besar. The direct train service from Bangkok, via Surat Thani, to Butterworth Railway Station (near Penang) has ceased operating.
- The replacement service is a train which goes as far as the border (Padang Besar) and then change shuttle train service from Padang Besar to Penang. This new service is an improvement over the old service.
- There are 14 trains a day from Padang Besar to Penang Butterworth Railway Station and once you have passed through immigration at train station you never need to wait long before catching another train for the 1 hour 51 minute journey to Penang.
Trains Times to Penang
- Part 1: Train Times from Surat Thani to Padang Besar Railway on Thailand-Malaysia Border.
|Train||Surat Thani||Padang Besar||Service|
- Part 2: Train times from Padang Besar to Butterworth Railway Station near Penang.
- Malaysia Time: Train times from Padang Besar to Penang are in Malaysian time which is one hour ahead of Thailand time.
Buy Tickets to Penang
Use the Search Box below to buy your train tickets from Surat Thani to Padang Besar:
Tickets for the train journey from Padang Besar to Penang can be purchased on the day of travel. There is no need to book this service as there is a commuter shuttle service with regular departures throughout the day.
Surat Thani Railway Station
Surat Thani train station is located a 20 minute drive to the east of Surat Thani city centre in the town of Phunphin. If you are staying in Koh Samui, Koh Tao or Koh Phangan you can take the bus and boat service directly to Surat Thani train station. Alternatively you can catch a bus, or take a taxi from Surat Thani town centre, to get to the train station.
- How to get from Koh Samui to Surat Thani train station
- How to get from Koh Phangan to Surat Thani train station
- How to get from Phuket to Surat Thani train station
Location of Surat Thani Station
Butterworth Station to Penang
If you planning to visit Penang Island then from Butterworth Railway Station there are two ways to get there. Your first option is to take the cheap car and passenger ferry over the straits separating Penang from mainland Malaysia. The boat pier is very close to the train station and it is an easy walk. Follow the signs from the train station. The ferry arrives in George Town and it is a 10 minute walk to the popular areas of Chulia Street, Love Lane and Little India.
Your second option is to take a taxi. There are two bridges near to Butterworth Railway Station connecting the Malay mainland to Penang Island. The taxi option may be the better one is you are staying somewhere outside the centre of George Town.
Penang to Kuala Lumpur
The railway station where this service terminates is next to the main bus station for Penang. For onward travel in Malaysia you need to walk only about 200 metres to the bus station to board your bus. The journey to Kuala Lumpur takes about 4 hours by bus from Penang.