The train is a great way to travel from Udon Thani to Bangkok. Rail passengers have the option of either taking the daytime train and enjoying the scenery along the way or alternatively booking a sleeper berth on overnight train and waking up in Bangkok saving the cost of a hotel for the night and the inconvenience of the journey from either the airport or the Northern Bus Terminal into Central Bangkok.
Train Times from Udon Thani to Bangkok
There are 3 direct trains a day from Udon Thani to Bangkok.
- The fastest service is Train #76 departing at 08:16, which is scheduled to complete the journey in 8 hours 19 minutes.
- The slowest of these four services is Train #134 departing at 19;38 and scheduled to arrive in Bangkok 9 hours 52 minutes later.
Buy Tickets from Udon Thani to Bangkok
Use the Search Box below to buy your train tickets from Udon Thani to Bangkok.
The most convenient, and popular service on this line is Train #26. This is because it is relatively quick (9 hours 30 minutes), departs and arrives at convenient times, and has a full range of seating types available including 1st and 2nd class air-conditioned sleeper berths. Train #76 is a Sprinter Train with A/C Seats, but no sleeper berths.
Ticket Prices from Udon Thani to Bangkok
|Seat Type||Online Price||Station Price|
|1st Class A/C Sleeper||1,767 THB||1,517 THB|
|2nd Class A/C Sleeper||1,229 THB||979 THB|
|3rd Class A/C Seat||729 THB||479 THB|
Udon Thani Train Station
Udon Thani Railway Station is located on the Prajak Sillapakom in Udon Thani city centre. The train station is about 1 km from Central Plaza shopping centre and the bus station. In Udon Thani it is easy and cheap to catch a taxi or tuk-tuk to the train station if you are staying at a hotel which too far away to walk to.
Location of Udon Thani Station
Location of Bangkok Station
- From the 19th January 2023 the main railway station in Bangkok is Krung Thep Aphiwat Central Terminal (also known as Bang Sue Grand Station).
Travel in Bangkok
Bangkok’s old main train station, Hua Lamphong, in Bangkok’s Chinatown, not far from the Chao Phraya river. Aside from taxis and tuk-tuks, there are two easy public transport options from this railway station.
- Metro: The first and quickest option is to take an underground train. Adjacent to the train station is an MRT (Metro) station which go on one route through the City, via Silom, Sukhumvit Road and up to Krung Thep Aphiwat Central Terminal in the north of Bangkok. The Bangkok Metro system is modern, clean and efficient.
- Express Boat: A second slower, but more pleasurable, option is to take an Express Boat along the Chao Phraya river. This is a good option if you plan to travel to areas near the river such as the Khao San Road. From the train station you need to walk about 1,200 metres down to the Chao Phraya river to the Harbour Department Pier. For a description of the journey in reverse see our guide to How to get from Khao San to Bangkok Hua Lamphong Railway Station by public transport.
Hotels in Bangkok
There are some very good hotels near Hua Lamphong Railway Station, which is in Bangkok’s Yaowarat (China Town) district. Yaowarat is an exciting area and the location of Bangkok’s most interesting temples, markets, and restaurants. Bangkok’s China Town has for many years been a much less popular area with foreign tourists than the Khao San or Sukhumvit districts of Bangkok. However, this is changing rapidly with better access and facilities being introduced to the China Town area by the city’s municipal authorities, including helpful English language signs having been installed on most major roads in the area. The hotels in the area have also improved with a thriving boutique hotel scene including some very well done conversions of Yaowarat’s wooden riverside homes, such as the excellent Loy La Long Hotel.