To travel by train from Chiang Mai to the islands of Koh Samui and Koh Phangan you need to:
- Take a train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok.
- Take another train from Bangkok to Surat Thani.
There are direct bus and ferry services from Surat Thani Railway Station to both Koh Samui and Koh Phangan. See below for more information about travel from Surat Thani Railway Station.
Buy Tickets from Chiang Mai to Surat Thani
Use the Search Box below to find your train tickets from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, and then Bangkok to Surat Thani:
You will need to make two separate bookings:
- Chiang Mai to Bangkok Train: For the first section of the journey search for ‘Chiang Mai train station’ to ‘Bangkok’ to find Surat Thani to Bangkok train tickets.
- Bangkok to Surat Thani Train: For the second section of the journey search for ‘Bangkok’ to ‘Surat Thani’ to find Bangkok to Surat Thani train tickets.
Train Times from Chiang Mai to Bangkok
There are currently 5 trains a day from Chiang Mai to Bangkok.
|Chiang Mai||Bangkok||Train No.||Service|
All trains except for the two day time train (#102 and #8) departing at 06:30 and 08:50 from Chiang Mai have sleeper berths available.
Train Times Bangkok to to Surat Thani
There are currently 9 trains a day from Bangkok to Surat Thani.
|Train No.||Bangkok||Surat Thani||Service|
All services except Train #43 (departing at 07:50) and Train #39/41 (departing at 22:05) have sleeper berths available. The most popular train service from Bangkok to Surat Thani is Train #85 departing at 19:30 because this train has a full range of seat types and a convenient arrival time in Surat Thani.
Chiang Mai Train Station
Chiang Mai Railway Station is on the Charoen Muang Road 3.3 km from Chiang Mai’s Old Town.
A tuk-tuk to the train station should cost around 60 THB from most part of Chiang Mai.
Surat Thani Train Station
Surat Thani Railway Station is located 16 km from Surat Thani city in the town of Phunphin.
There is a public service from the train station to Surat Thani as well as taxis which wait for customers at a taxi rank in front of the station. the taxi fare from Surat Thani train station to Surat Thani city is 140 THB.
Travel from Surat Thani
You do not need to travel into Surat Thani city to travel from Surat Thani train station to the islands of Koh Samui and Koh Phangan. Surat Thani train station is transport hub with a variety of direct bus services departing from the small car park to the left hand side of the station building to the ferry ports in Donsak. From Donsak you have a wide choice of ferry services to Koh Samui and Koh Phangan.
- Direct bus and ferry services to Koh Samui depart from Surat Thani train station at 07:30, 07:45, 08:00 and 08:30.
- Direct bus and ferry services to Koh Phangan depart from Surat Thani train station at 07:30, 07:45, 08:00, 08:30 and 09:00.
If you miss the direct services because your train is delayed then make your way by bus or taxi into Surat Thani city centre. Joint bus and ferry services on the inexpensive car ferry (which runs until 17:00) depart from the Phantip Travel office on the Talad Mai Road in the centre of Surat Thani city very near to where the public bus from the train station terminates.