By train the journey from Bangkok to Surin is scheduled to take from 6 to 9 hours depending upon which train service you take.
Train Times from Bangkok to Surin
There are 9 direct daily train services from Bangkok to Surin.
- Please Note: The services shaded in grey are not currently operating.
- The fastest train from Bangkok to Surin is Train #21 departing at 05:45 from Bangkok and arriving in Surin at 12.09, a scheduled journey time of 6 hours 24 minutes.
- The slowest train is Train #145, which is scheduled to arrive in Surin 9 hours 10 minutes after departing from Bangkok at 15:20.
- Sleeper seats are available on some, but not all, overnight trains:
- Train #139 (departing at 18:55)
- Train #23 (departing at 21:30)
- Train #67 (departing at 21:30)
Buy Tickets from Bangkok to Surin
Use the Search Box below to buy your train tickets from Bangkok to Surin:
- Sleeper seats are available to book online as well as the cheaper seat only options.
- After booking you will be sent a ticket by e-mail.
The best day time train to book is Train #71. Train #71 is scheduled to complete the journey in 7 hours and 3 minutes and departs at the convenient time of 10.05 and arrives at the equally convenient time of 17:08. The seats on Train #71 are comfortable and air-conditioned. The best overnight train is Train #23 departing at 20:30. Train #23 uses the brand new train carriages introduced by the State Railways of Thailand in November 2016. Air-conditioned 1st and 2nd class sleeper berths can be booked online for this service.
Ticket Prices from Bangkok to Surin
|Seat Type||Online Price||Station Price|
|1st Class A/C Sleeper||1,606 THB||1,186 THB|
|2nd Class A/C Sleeper||1,069 THB||749 THB|
|2nd Class Fan Sleeper||679 THB||579 THB|
|2nd Class Fan Seat||529 THB||279 THB|
|3rd Class A/C Seat||639 THB||389 THB|
There are advantages and disadvantages to purchasing train tickets online for the journey from Bangkok to Surin:
- Disadvantages: Purchasing a ticket online will cost between 100 THB and 420 THB more than purchasing a ticket at Bangkok Train Station.
- Advantages: By purchasing a ticket online you can:
- Secure the type of seat you want.
- Travel on the train of your choice.
- Travel on the day that fits in best with your plans.
About Travel to Surin
We advise doing this journey in daylight hours. the section of track between Ayutthaya and Nakhon Ratchasima on the way to Surin is spectacular. Passengers who travel during daylight hours get to enjoy mountain views and pass by a large lake. Well worth seeing. When in Surin make sure you take the opportunity to visit one of the elephant camps.
Surin is most famous for its elephants and a quarter of all Thailand’s domestic elephants come from the Surin region. The Kuy ehtnic group, native inhabitants of Surin, have a long running tradition of elephant breeding and training dating back hundreds (perhaps thousands) of years to time when elephants where an important form of transport and were widely used in logging and agriculture in Thailand.
Bangkok Train Station
- See more information about Bangkok Train Station