By train the journey from Phitsanulok to Chiang Mai is scheduled to take from 6 to 8 hours depending upon which train you take.
Trains Times to Chiang Mai
There are 6 direct train services per day from Phitsanulok to Chiang Mai.
|Train No.||Phitsanulok||Chiang Mai||Service|
- Train #7 departing from Phitsanulok at 13:22 is the fastest service on this route scheduled to complete the journey in 6 hours 8 minutes.
- The slowest service is the 04:40 departure on Train #51 which takes 7 hours 30 minutes to complete the journey arriving in Chiang Mai at 12:10, with 10 stops on route compared to Train #7, which has only 7 stops on route to Chiang Mai.
Buy Tickets to Chiang Mai
Use the Search Box below to buy your train tickets from Phitsanulok to Chiang Mai. Sleeper seats are available to book online as well as the cheaper seat only options. After booking either collect your train tickets at the Parcels Office at Phitsanulok Train Station or request that they are sent by post to your home address.
- Train #7 departing at 13:22 is a fast service which completes most of the journey in the day time, allowing you the opportunity to see the spectacular scenery on route, its air-conditioned and the ticket price includes a meal and drinks served to your seat.
- Of the overnight trains the best one is Train #9 departing at 00:18 because it uses Thailand’s newly acquired modern train carriages brought into service in November 2016 and also because Train #9 departs and arrives at convenient times: not too late and not too early.
Ticket Prices to Chiang Mai
|Seat Type||Online Price||Station Price|
|1st Class A/C Sleeper||1,585 THB||1,335 THB|
|2nd Class A/C Sleeper||920 to 1,130 THB||670 to 880 THB|
|2nd Class A/C Seat||720 THB||470 THB|
|2nd Class Fan Sleeper||700 THB||450 THB|
About Travel to Chiang Mai
Located only 1 hour away from Sukhothai by road, Phitsanulok Train Station is the nearest railway connection to Sukhothai Historical Park. Many foreign visitors choose to travel by train between Sukhothai and Chiang Mai, rather than travel by bus which takes 5 hours 15 minutes.
Although the journey by bus is quicker, the train is more comfortable particularly if you are planning to travel overnight. The scenery from the train, especially as it passes through the mountains of the Doi Khun Tan National Park, is also better than the scenery travelling by road. We recommend travelling by day for this reason and there is plenty of time to get from Sukhothai to Phitsanulok in the morning to catch Train #7 which departs at 13:22.
Phitsanulok Train Station
Chiang Mai Train Station
- See information about Chiang Mai Train Station