By train the journey from Ban Krut to Hat Yai is scheduled to take from 10 to 11 hours depending upon which train service you use. We recommend booking a sleeper berth if you plan on doing this journey on one of the overnight train services.
Trains Times from Ban Krut to Hat Yai
There are currently 2 daily train services from Ban Krut to Hat Yai.
|Train||Ban Krut||Hat Yai||Service Type|
- The fastest train from Ban Krut to Hat Yai is Train #168 departing from Ban Krut at 23:23 and arriving 10 hours 29 minutes later in Hat Yai at 09:5,.
- The slowest train is Train #171 departing from Ban Krut at 19:44 and arriving in Hat Yai at 06:34, a scheduled journey time of 10 hours 52 minutes.
Buy Tickets from Ban Krut to Hat Yai
Use the Search Box below to buy your train tickets from Ban Krut to Hat Yai.
Sleeper berths are available on Trains #171 and #169. You can also transport a bicycle on either Train #171 or #169 if there is room in the cargo carriage. The sprinter train service (Train #41) currently only travels as far as Surat Thani and no longer continues further South to Hat Yai.
Ticket Prices from Ban Krut to Hat Yai
It costs between 31 THB and 103 THB extra to buy a ticket online for the Ban Krut to Hat Yai route through the Search Box above than it does to buy a ticket at the train station.
|Seat Type||Online Price||Station Price|
|2nd Class A/C Sleeper||802 THB||699 THB|
|2nd Class Fan Sleeper||560 THB||529 THB|
|2nd Class Fan Seat||395 THB||329 THB|
|3rd Class Fan Seat||248 THB||205 THB|
The advantage of paying more to book online is that you can guarantee the availability of the seat type you want on the train that is most convenient for you. This is particularly important if your trip coincides with one of one of Thailand’s frequent public holidays when train services can become very busy.
Ban Krut Train Station
- Ban Krut Railway Station is 2.2 km by road from Ban Krut beach.
Hat Yai Railway Station
- Hat Yai Junction Railway Station is located 2.8 km by road from Hat Yai Bus Station.
About Travel from Hat Yai
As well as being a major city, Hat Yai is also the main transport hub for the lower part of Southern Thailand. Hat Yai is a popular destination in its own right for visitors from Malaysia, however, most visitors from Europe and North America only ever come to Hat Yai on route to other destinations.
Travel to Malaysia
The main destination for people transiting through Hat Yai is Malaysia and there are several ways to travel overland from Hat Yai to Malaysia:
- Minivan to Padang Besar: The quickest and cheapest way to travel from Hat Yai to Malaysia is to take a minivan from Hat Yai Bus Station to the border at Padang Besar. Minivans depart frequently throughout the day as and when they become full. The journey takes 50 minutes and costs 50 THB per person. Once across the border you can take a train from Padang Besar Railway Station direct to Penang, Ipoh and Kuala Lumpur.
- Train: There are train services direct from Hat Yai to Padang Besar Railway Station in Malaysia, as well as trains from Hat Yai to Sungai Kolok. Travel via Padang Besar is the best option for onward travel to Penang and Kuala Lumpur, whilst travel via Sungai Kolok is the best route to reach Kota Bharu (the closest Thai Embassy to the Malaysian border) or the Perhentian Islands.
- By minivan to Penang Island: There are minivan services travelling direct from Hat Yai city centre to Penang Island. This is a quick and cheap option that takes you direct into the centre of busy George Town in around 4 hours.
- By bus to Kuala Lumpur: Bus services travel direct from Hat Yai city centre, rather than from Hat Yai Bus Station, to Kuala Lumpur. Most of these service travel overnight and the journey takes around 9 hours.
Hat Yai is also a good access point for visiting islands in the lower South of Thailand which are on the West Coast some distance from Krabi and Phuket.
Travel from Hat Yai to the Islands
There are services which depart direct from Hat Yai Railway Station which are fast and convenient options for overland travel to some of Thailand’s most beautiful islands. For more information see the links below:
- Read more about travel from Hat Yai Railway Station to Koh Lipe.
- Read more about travel from Hat Yai Railway Station to Koh Tarutao.