Trains from Bangkok to Nakhon Si Thammarat pass through the busy stretch of Thailand’s Southern Railway Line, stopping on route at popular destinations such as Hua Hin, Chumphon (for Koh Tao) and Surat Thani (for Koh Samui and Koh Phangan). Trains get noticeably less busy in the 1st and 2nd Class for the final section of the journey from Surat Thani to Nakhon Si Thammarat.
Train Times from Bangkok to Nakhon Si Thammarat
There is currently 1 direct train service a day from Bangkok to Nakhon Si Thammarat.
|Train No.||Bangkok||N. S. Thammarat||Service|
- The fastest train service between Bangkok and Nakhon Si Thammarat is Train #85 which is scheduled to complete the journey in 15 hours 55 minutes.
- Sleeper berths are available on all direct train services to from Bangkok to Nakhon Si Thammarat.
Buy Tickets from Bangkok to Nakhon Si Thammarat
Use the Search Box below to find your tickets from Bangkok to Nakhon Si Thammarat. Simply enter your travel dates and click to Find Tickets. See below for information about the cost of booking train tickets online in Thailand.
All seats types are available on this journey. You can now book all seats for train services from Bangkok to Nakhon Si Thammarat online including 1st and 2nd Class A/C Sleeper berths which are the most popular seats type on this journey through the hot and humid Southern Region of Thailand. For best seats it well worth booking in advance.
Ticket Prices from Bangkok to Nakhon Si Thammarat
Train tickets purchased online from Bangkok to Nakhon Si Thammarat are 250 THB more expensive than train tickets purchased at the train station.
|Seat Type||Online Price||Station Price|
|1st Class A/C Sleeper||1,722 THB||1,472 THB|
|2nd Class A/C Sleeper||1,038 to 1,108 THB||788 to 828 THB|
|2nd Class Fan Sleeper||818 THB||568 THB|
|2nd Class Fan Seat||668 THB||418 THB|
2nd Class Air-Conditioned Sleeper Seats are near identical to 2nd Class Fan Sleeper Seats except for method of climate control in the carriage, and it is worth noting that if you book a lower bed in a 2nd Class Fan carriage you can usually open the window allowing in the cooler air. Upper bunks in 2nd Class Fan carriages, however, can become very hot and uncomfortable.
Train Travel to Nakhon Si Thammarat
Whilst Nakhon Si Thammarat is not itself a particularly popular tourist destination, trains to Nakhon Si Thammarat pass through Chumphon (connection point for ferries to Koh Tao) and Surat Thani (connection point to Koh Samui and Koh Phangan) on the way to Nakhon Si Thammarat which means that the train can become very busy during high season and around the time of the monthly Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan.
The main attractions in the area for foreign visitors are:
- Wat Phra Mahathat Woromaha Vihan: Dating back to 845 AD this is the largest and most important Buddhist temple in Southern Thailand notable for its Buddha relics and 174 chedi.
- Sichon Beach: A relaxed beach destination with some great hotels and beach front fish restaurants well of the beaten track for foreign tourists although quite popular with Thai holiday makers. Sichon can be reached directly by minivan from Nakhon Si Thammarat, but not from Surat Thani.
- Khanom: A relaxed seaside resort featuring 9 km of beach front catering mostly to Thai visitors. The most popular part of Khanom is Nai Plao Beach. The area is famous also for its pink dolphins that inhabit the local coastal waters. Other attractions in the area include Khao Wang Thong cave, which is 17.5 km from Nai Plao beach. You can reach Khanom by minivan from Nakhon Si Thammarat Bus Station in around 1 hour 30 minutes. Minivans depart regularly throughout the day.
Best Train to Nakhon Si Thammarat
Train #85 is by far the best train direct train from Bangkok to Nakhon Si Thammarat. Train #85 has a full range of 1st and 2nd Class Air-Conditioned carriages, as well as fan carriages. Train #85 also uses newer carriages which are in better condition than the carriages used on Train #173, which is why tickets on Traiin #85 are slightly more expensive than tickets on Train #173.
Transporting Bicycles by Train
It is possible to transport motorbikes and bicycles on Train #85 from Bangkok to Nakhon Si Thammarat if there is space in the freight carriage if there is room. For more information see our Guide to Carrying bicycles on Thailand Trains.
Bangkok Railway Station
From the 19th January 2023 the main railway station in Bangkok is Krung Thep Aphiwat Central Terminal Station (also known as Bang Sue Grand Station).
Nakhon Si Thammarat Railway Station
Nakhon Si Thammarat Train Station is located 3.5 km by road to the North of Wat Phra Mahathat Woramaha Vihan.