The best way to travel overland from Bangkok to Phuket is to take an overnight sleeper train to Surat Thani and then a direct bus service to Phuket. Bus services to Phuket depart in the morning from outside the front of Surat Thani Railway Station.
Train from Bangkok to Surat Thani
- Train times from Bangkok to Surat Thani.
- Book train tickets from Bangkok to Surat Thani.
Bus from Surat Thani to Phuket
- Bus times from Surat Thani to Phuket.
- Buy bus tickets from Surat Thani to Phuket.
Location of Bangkok Train Station
From the 19th January 2023 the main railway station in Bangkok is Krung Thep Aphiwat Central Terminal Station (also known as Bang Sue Grand Station).
Location of Surat Thani Train Station
Read more about Surat Thani Railway Station.
Location of the Phuket Bus Stop
Phantip Travel bus services from Surat Thani terminate at Phuket Bus Terminal 1.
About Travel to Phuket
There are 10 trains a day from Bangkok to Surat Thani, which is the first stage of the journey to Phuket. See below for the information you need about train travel from Bangkok to Surat Thani:
- Choosing a Train: 7 out of the 9 trains to Surat Thani have sleeper berths. The 08:10 and 22:20 departures do not have sleeper berths.
- Sleeper berths: The are three kinds of sleeper berth on Thai Trains – 1st Class (private cabin), 2nd Class A/C (shared carriage with bunk beds), 2nd Class Fan (same as 2nd Class A/C minus the air-conditioning, although on the lower bunk you can open the window).
- Train Station: Trains to Surat Thani depart from Krung Thep Aphiwat Central Terminal Station.
When you arrive in Surat Thani you need to go to the car park in front of the station. The car park is located to the left hand side of the ticket hall as you leave the train. There are several cafes (such as Wut Travel) on this car park. Wait there and a Phantip Travel representative will be there to guide you to the bus.
The bus trip from Surat Thani Railway Station to Phuket takes 4 hours 30 minutes. For most of the journey you travel along a well maintained two lane highway with pleasant views on route, with a 30 minute rest stop halfway through the journey at a roadside restaurant. The point of arrival in Phuket is Phuket Bus Terminal 1, which is in the centre of Phuket Town. Phuket Town is an interesting place with lots of historical buildings and some very good cheap hotels, such as the excellent Rome Place. There are also inexpensive shared taxi and minivans from Phuket Bus Terminal 1 to local destinations, such as Patong Beach, running frequently throughout the day.