If you are planning to travel overland from Don Mueang Airport to Chiang Mai then your easiest option is to take a train direct from Don Mueang Airport Railway Station.
- It is pointless to go into Central Bangkok to board the train as all trains from Bangkok to Chiang Mai at Don Mueang Airport Railway Station on route.
- If you want to take a bus instead of a train then its a 45 to 60 minute journey southwards to travel from Don Mueang Airport to the Northern Bus Terminal in Bangkok to board a bus travelling northwards to Chiang Mai.
Train Times from Don Mueang to Chiang Mai
There are 5 direct train services a day from Don Mueang Airport to Chiang Mai.
- Please note: The services shaded in grey are not currently operating.
|Don Mueang||Chiang Mai||Service||Train|
- Fastest Train: The fastest service is Train #7, departing at 09:13, which is scheduled to complete the journey from Don Mueang Airport Railway Station to Chiang Mai in 10 hours 17 minutes.
- Slowest Train: The slowest of these 5 services is Train #109, departing at 16:23, scheduled to arrive in Chiang Mai 13 hours 31 minutes after departing from Don Mueang Airport Railway Station.
Buy Tickets from Don Mueang to Chiang Mai
Use the Search Box below to buy your train tickets from Don Mueang Airport to Chiang Mai.
If train tickets from Don Mueang Airport to Chiang Mai are not available to buy through the Search Box then buy a ticket from Hua Lamphong Railway Station instead. Tickets from Hua Lamphong to Chiang Mai will be accepted on the route from Don Mueang Airport to Chiang Mai.
Location of Don Mueang Airport Railway Station
- See more information about Don Mueang Airport Railway Station
Location of Chiang Mai Station
- See more information about Chiang Mai Railway Station
About Train Travel to Chiang Mai
Don Mueang Airport Railway Station is connected to Don Mueang Airport by an elevated walkway. To reach the railway station go to the 2nd floor of Terminal 1, this is where the check in desks are for international flights. From there follow the signs for the Railway Station and the Amari Don Muang Airport Bangkok Hotel. You need to take a lift to the 1st floor and then follow the walkway. There are stairs leading off the walkway down to the railway station. Trains travelling north to Chiang Mai all depart from Platform 2, which is on the other side of the railway tracks from the ticket office. Be careful to check that you are boarding the correct train as there will also be services passing through the station and stopping at Platform 2 which are travelling to destinations on Thailand’s North Eastern Line, either to Nong Khai or Ubon Ratchathani. If you do get it wrong don’t panic, just leave the train at Ayutthaya where you can change to the correct train to Chiang Mai.
Chiang Mai Railway Station is slightly inconveniently located to the south of the two most popular parts of Chiang Mai where most visitors to the city stay. It’s further than most people would want to walk to get Chiang Mai Railway Station to either the popular riverside area near the Changklan Road or Chiang Mai Old City. There are two public transport options for travel north towards the Old City. The easier option is to take a tuk-tuk which should charge you around 100 THB to most destinations in Chiang Mai City. The other option is to walk across the car park in front of the station to the main road and flag down a shared taxi. If you take a fixed route you should pay only 20 THB. Tell the driver which area you want to go to (for instance the Changklan Road ot Tha Phae Gate if you want the old city) and if they indicate that they are going that way then get in the back and pay when you leave the vehicle. If you want to get the cheap fares on the shared taxis then you need to be prepared to walk from the nearest point they drop you on their fixed route to your final destination in Chiang Mai.