By train the journey from Nakhon Si Thammarat to Bangkok is scheduled to take just over 16 hours. The advantages of travelling from Nakhon Si Thammarat to Bangkok by train rather than flying is that the cost of a 2nd Class train ticket is less than half the cost of a plane ticket, and if you book a sleeper berth you save the cost of paying for a hotel for the night and wake up rested for a full day in Bangkok.
Train Times from Nakhon Si Thammarat to Bangkok
There is currently 1 direct train service a day from Nakhon Si Thammarat to Bangkok.
- The fastest train service from Nakhon Si Thammarat to Bangkok is Train #86 which is scheduled to complete the journey in 16 hours 25 minutes.
- Sleeper berths are available on Train #86.
Buy Tickets from Nakhon Si Thammarat to Bangkok
Use the Search Box below to buy your tickets from Nakhon Si Thammarat to Bangkok.
For this journey you have a choice of booking 1st Class A/C Sleeper berth, 2nd Class A/C Sleeper berths and 2nd Class A/C Fan Sleeper berths online through the Search Box. You can also choose to travel in a fan cooled seat. Fan cooled seats are cheap and not that popular for this long journey so you should have no difficulty simply turning up a short time before either train departs and buying a ticket at the counter in the station. You may not be as lucky with buying sleeper berths to Bangkok because trains pass through the busy station of Surat Thani and Chumphon on route and there is a high demand for sleeper berths by passengers joining the train at these two stations.
Ticket Prices from Nakhon Si Thammarat to Bangkok
Train tickets purchased online from Bangkok to Nakhon Si Thammarat are 250 THB more expensive than train tickets purchased at the train station.
|Seat Type||Online Price||Station Price|
|1st Class A/C Sleeper||1,722 THB||1,472 THB|
|2nd Class A/C Sleeper||1,038 to 1,108 THB||788 to 828 THB|
|2nd Class Fan Sleeper||818 THB||568 THB|
- 1st Class A/C Sleeper tickets are only available on Train #86 departing from Nakhon Si Thammarat at 15:20.
- 2nd Class A/C Sleeper tickets are available on all direct train services from Nakhon Si Thammarat to Bangkok.
About Train Travel to Bangkok
Trains from Nakhon Si Thammarat travel a distance of over 800 km to reach Bangkok. The Southern Line is Thailand is for most of the way a single track. Plans to install a second track running alongside the current track are being finalised at the moment, but until then the speed of this journey is severely restricted nearly all the way to Bangkok by the need for trains travelling in opposite directions to wait in sidings, and station, for one to pass the other before carrying on the journey.
Trains from Nakhon Si Thammarat are normally fairly empty for the first part of the journey. Both Train #174 and Train #86 fill up on route. The first major station where passengers board the train is Surat Thani. Surat Thani train station is the connection point between the railway system and the ferry ports of Donsak where dozens of ferries arrive everyday from the islands of Koh Samui and Koh Phangan.
Further along the track another large group of mostly foreign travellers will join the train in Chumphon, which is close to the various ferry piers serving the popular island of Koh Tao. The train then passes through Prachuap Khiri Khan and Hua Hin which are also popular tourist destinations.
Transporting Bicycles by Train
Train #86 has a freight car, which means for a small additional fee you can transport a bicycle from Nakhon Si Thammarat to Bangkok by train. To transport a bicycle visit the Cargo Office at Nakhon Si Thammarat buy a ticket for your bicycle before you board your train. For more information see our Guide to Carrying bicycles on Thailand Trains.
Location of Nakhon Si Thammarat Railway Station
- Nakhon Si Thammarat Railway Station is located 3.5 km away from the famous Wat Phra Mahathat Woramaha Vihan and 2.1 km from Nakhon Si Thammarat Bus Station.
Location of Bangkok Railway Station
- From the 19th January 2023 the main railway station in Bangkok is Krung Thep Aphiwat Central Terminal (also known as Bang Sue Grand Station).
Travel from Bangkok Hua Lamphong Station
There are 6 ways to travel from Bangkok’s old main train station, known locally as Hua Lamphong Station, to your final destination in Bangkok:
- Taxi: There is a meter taxi rank managed by the police near the side exit by platform 1.
- Metro (MRT): This is the quickest and a cheap way to travel from the station which has its own metro station. The metro connects with the BTS skytrain.
- Bus: Slow, but very cheap. There is a bus stop near the side exit of the station building by platform 1.
- Tuk-Tuk: Only recommended for short journeys from the train station as they tend to be more expensive than meter taxis and passengers are exposed to poor quality air in an open cab.
- Motorbike Taxis: Cheap and great for beating the Bangkok traffic. The downside of motorbike is that the journey can be frightening and sometimes dangerous, only one person can travel at a time and you cannot transport lots of luggage.
- Chao Phraya Express Boat: The nearest Express Boar pier is 1.2 km from the train station. If you can manage the walk, and you plan to travel in daylight hours, this is the nicest and cheapest way to get from the train station to the Khao San Road area.