By train it takes 2 to 3 hours to travel from Khon Kaen to Nong Khai depending upon which train you take. The first and last trains of the day have air-conditioned carriages.
Train Times from Khon Kaen to Nong Khai
There are 3 direct trains per day from Khon Kaen to Nong Khai.
|Train||Khon Kaen||Nong Khai||Service|
- The fastest service from Khon Kaen to Nong Khai is Train #75 departing at 15:32 from Khon Kaen and scheduled to arrive at Nong Khai Train Station 1 hours 58 minutes later at 17:30.
- The slowest service from Khon Kaen to Nong Khai is Train #133 departing from Khon Kaen at 05:22 and scheduled to arrive in Nong Khai at 07:55, a journey of 2 hours 33 minutes.
Buy Tickets from Khon Kaen to Nong Khai
Use the Search Box below to find your train tickets from Khon Kaen to Nong Khai.
Location of Khon Kaen Railway Station
Location of Nong Khai Railway Station
- See more information about Nong Khai Railway Station.
About Travel to Nong Khai
Nong Khai is a pleasant town located on the banks of the Mekong River. The most lively part of Nong Khai is the riverside Tha Sadet Road in the centre of Nong Khai. The Tha Sadet Road has lots of river front restaurants, including some serving good quality Western food, a covered day time market, and a great Saturday Night Market. There are also several popular resorts, most prominently the Mut Mee Garden Guesthouse, located on the riverbank. Other than a few notable eateries away from the riverside, such as the Im-Em Restaurant which serves fantastic sausage bread in the morning, there isn’t much else to do and see in Nong Khai. Most foreign visitors who come to Nong Khai are either on their way to Vientiane in Laos, or coming from Laos to Thailand via Nong Khai.
There are two ways to travel from Nong Khai Railway Station to Vientiane in Laos, and both involve crossing the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge, which is located just over 3 km by road from Nong Khai Railway Station:
- Option 1: There are two trains a day from Nong Khai Railway Station to Thanaleng Railay Station in Laos. These services depart at 07:30 and 14:45. the journey takes 15 minutes and costs 20 THB per person. Thanaleng Station is 15 km by road from Vientiane and you will need to take a taxi or minivan to complete the onward journey from Thanaleng Railway Station to Vientiane.
- Option 2: Take a tuk-tuk from Nong Khai Railway Station to the border crossing at the Southern end of the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge. You can’t walk over the bridge separating the two border posts but you can take a very cheap bus. Once you cross into Laos you will be presented with numerous transport options to reach Vientiane. The cheapest option is to take a local bus service, Bus #14. These bus services depart regularly from in front of the Laos immmigration centre and take around 1 hour to reach Vientiane Central Bus Station.