The fastest way to travel by train from Bangkok to Koh Phangan is to leave the train at Chumphon (rather than Surat Thani) and to take a joint bus and ferry service to Koh Phangan direct from Chumphon Railway Station. Surat Thani is located about 3 hours by train to the south of Chumphon, however, the fast ferry and bus services from Chumphon to Koh Phangan takes less than hour longer than fast ferry and bus services from Surat Thani Railway Station to Koh Phangan.
Travel Times to Koh Phangan
Joint bus and ferry services travelling direct from Chumphon Railway to Koh Phangan are operated by the Lomprayah High Speed Ferry Company.
|Train Station||Koh Phangan||Company||Ticket|
The Lompayah High Speed Comapny is the premier ferry operator for the islands of Koh Phangan, Koh Samui and Koh Tao. This company has a fleet of high speed catamaran ferries which uses it to transport passengers quickly and safely between the mainland and the three islands.
- Tour operator KP Tripadvisor also sells the Lomprayah High Speed Ferry service under its own brand for the same price.
Buy Tickets to Koh Phangan
Use the Search Box below to buy your combined bus and ferry tickets from Chumphon Train Station to Koh Phangan:
There are two stages to the Lomprayah High Speed Ferry services from Chumphon Railway Station to Koh Phangan.
- Stage 1: Connecting bus service from Chumphon Railway Station to Tung Makham Noi Ferry Pier. This part of the journey takes around 35 minutes.
- Stage 2: A ferry journey of between 3 hours 10 minutes and 3 hours 45 minutes from Tung Makham Noi Ferry Pier to Koh Phangan, with stops on route at Koh Tao and Koh Nangyuan.
Location of Tung Makham Noi Ferry Pier
Lomprayah High Speed Ferry services to Koh Phangan depart from Tung Makham Noi Ferry Pier.
Location of Thong Sala Pier
Lomprayah High Speed Ferry services from Chumphon arrive at the main ferry pier in Thong Sala, which is on the south west coast of Koh Phangan.
Travel in Koh Phangan
There are two main forms of public transport in Koh Phangan: shared taxis, which are also available for private hire, and motorbike taxis. Koh Phangan has no local bus or minivan services. Ferry operators, such as the Lomprayah High Speed Ferry Company, also operate a limited range of transfer services on Koh Phangan using minivans which you need to book in advance either at the ticket office or by speaking to a member of staff when you are onboard the ferry. These private minivan transfer services are about the same price as the services offered by the local shared taxi operators.
When you arrive at the ferry pier in Thong Sala you will be approached by motorbike taxi drivers and people representing shared taxi operators. Two important things to remember when arranging your onward trip from the ferry pier:
- There are no fixed prices for motorbike taxis in Koh Phangan and you need to negotiate to find a value for money fare.
- The price offerred by the taxi touts who approach you as you leave the ferry is the same as the price you would get if you approach the driver directly.
Shared taxis depart when they are full, which is normally within a few minutes of a ferry arriving. There is no advantage in trying to walk from the ferry pier into Thong Sala town centre to try to find a taxi. If the driver cannot fill his shared taxi he may offer to take the customers who are waiting to depart a higher fare to leave straight away as an alternative to waiting for another ferry to arrive and supply more passengers. Assuming that the shared taxi is full, then the typical per person price for a journey in a shared taxi in Koh Phangan in 2020 is:
- Haad Rin: 200 THB
- Haad Yao and Chaloklum: 300 THB
- Thong Nai Pan: 300 THB