You have the choice of either travelling by train during day from Udon Thani to Ayutthaya or of travelling through the night. In terms of the scenery on route this is not one of the best train routes in Thailand – the routes between Ayutthaya and Chiang Mai and Ayutthaya and Ubon Ratchathani are much better – and for this reason you may choose to travel overnight in a sleeper berth instead. However, bear in mind that the disadvantage of travelling overnight is that all overnight train services arrive before first light in the morning and a long time before you are likely to be able to check into a hotel.
Train Times from Udon Thani to Ayutthaya
There are 3 direct train services a day from Udon Thani to Ayutthaya.
- The fastest service from Udon Thani to Ayutthaya is Train #76 departing at 08:16, which is scheduled to complete the journey in 7 hours 18 minutes.
- The slowest service from Udon Thani to Ayutthay is Train #134 departing at 19:38 and scheduled to arrive in Ayutthaya at 04:13, 8 hours 45 minutes after departing from Udon Thani.
Buy Tickets from Udon Thani to Ayutthaya
Use the Search Box below to buy your train tickets from Udon Thani to Ayutthaya:
Ticket Prices from Udon Thani to Ayutthaya
Train tickets booked online cost 250 THB more than they do purchased at the train station.
|Seat Type||Online Price||Station Price|
|2nd Class A/C Sleeper||1,176 THB||926 THB|
|2nd Class A/C Seat||666 THB||416 THB|
The advantage of booking online is that you can guarantee your seat. There is only a single service from Udon Thani to Ayutthaya (Train #26 departing at 20:20) which has sleeper berths available and we recommend that you book these online in advance if you want to travel in comfort. If you don’t mind travelling 3rd class then simply buy your ticket at the station as these tickets rarely sell out before the day of travel except around the time of major public holidays such as the calendar New Year and Songkran.
Location of Udon Thani Train Station
- See more information about Udon Thani Train Station.
Udon Thani Train Station is located to the East of the centre of Udon Thani city centre near to Central Plaza shopping mall and the main bus station. Many of the best hotels in the city, such as the fantastic Charoen Hotel, are near to the train station and it is easy and cheap to travel by tuk-tuk in Udon Thani.
Location of Ayutthaya Train Station
- See more information about Ayutthaya Train Station.
Travel from Ayutthaya
Ayutthaya Train Station is located on the other side of the river from Ayutthaya’s old town area which often described as being an island as it is surrounded on all four sides by rivers and man made canals. It is 4.4 km from Ayutthaya Train Station to Ayutthaya Historical park which is much too far to walk, however, there are always lots of tuk-tuks waiting outside Ayutthaya Train Station to take there. A tuk-tuk from the station to the historical park or most other destinations in Ayutthaya’s old town area should cost around 100 THB.
There are lots of options for onward travel from Ayutthaya by bus, minivan and train, but not by plane as Ayutthaya does not have its own airport:
- Ayutthaya to Bangkok: There are two ways to travel from Ayutthaya to Bangkok: by train or by minivan. There 32 trains a day from Ayutthaya to Bangkok running from 03:13 to 21:42. The journey by train is scheduled to take between 1 hour 19 minutes on the fastest service to 2 hours 17 minutes on the slowest train, although travel times can often be longer because of delays. A 2nd Class A/C seat on the fastest train service (Train #8 departing from Ayutthaya at 18:06) costs 345 THB per adult. Minivan services are normal quicker than the train taking a standard travelling time of 2 hours. They depart from the corner of Naresuan Road and Naresuan Soi 1 and cost 90 THB per person to Bangkok. The arrival point in Bangkok for most minivan services is Morchit Bus Station, Bangkok’s Northern Bus Terminal.
- Ayutthaya to Chiang Mai: There are 5 train services a day from Ayutthaya to Chiang Mai and the journey by train takes between 9 hours 15 minutes and 12 hours 44 minutes depending upon which train you take. Sleeper seats cost between 831 THB and 2,198 THB booked online. Bus services are cheaper costing as little as 380 THB per person and take around the same time. The bus station for North bound bus services is called Sai Nuea Bus Station and it is located to the East of Ayutthaya Old Town on the main highway.
- Ayutthaya to Kanchanaburi: For travel to Kanchanaburi you first need to take a minivan from Chao Phrom market bus station, on the Naresuan Road in Ayutthaya, to Saphanburi bus station. This first stage of the journey takes around 1 hour 15 minutes and costs 70 THB per person. From Saphanburi bus station there are frequent bus services to Kanchanaburi. The journey by bus from Saphanburi to Kanchanaburi takes around 2 hours 30 minutes and costs 60 THB per person. Buy your ticket on the bus.